UMKC chapter and advisor win their ‘bracket’ of more than 130
The Sweet 16 is set for men’s college basketball, but the championship for student pharmacists already has been determined. This time, a Cinderella team did not knock out a favorite: UMKC.
The American Pharmacists Association-Academy of Student Pharmacists held its awards ceremony March 18 at the annual APhA meeting in Nashville. The UMKC chapter of APhA-ASP was recognized with the 2016-2017 Chapter of the Year Award.
“This was an amazing accomplishment considering there are more than 130 chapters of APhA-ASP around the country,” said Russell Melchert, dean of the UMKC School of Pharmacy.
The UMKC chapter also won this distinction in 2012.
UMKC Pharmacy Student Victories
- 2018 APhA-ASP Chapter of the Year (No. 1 in the U.S.)
- 2017 APhA-ASP 1st Runner Up in Chapter Achievement (Top 7 in the U.S.)
- 2016 APhA-ASP Chapter Achievement Award (Top 4 in the U.S.)
- 2015 APhA-ASP Chapter Achievement Award (Top 4 in the U.S.)
- 2014 APhA-ASP 1st Runner Up in Chapter Achievement (Top 7 in the U.S.)
- 2013 APhA-ASP Chapter Achievement Award (Top 4 in the U.S.)
- 2012 APhA-ASP Chapter of the Year (No. 1 in the U.S.)
The UMKC chapter was recognized for its work in providing wellness screenings – such as blood glucose, blood pressure, heartburn and bone mineral density – as well as immunizations, medication counseling and other services.
The UMKC chapter reaches out and provides those services for those most in need including the underserved and underinsured.
Faculty advisors include Kelly Cochran, Kathryn Holt, Lisa Cillessen, Angela Brownfield, Sarah Cox, Heather Taylor, Andrew Bzowyckyj, Valerie Ruehter and Cameron Lindsey.
- UMKC School of Pharmacy faculty member Valerie Ruehter received the APhA-ASP Outstanding Chapter Advisor Award.
- UMKC School of Pharmacy Pharm.D. student Sierra Woods received the APhA Good Government Student Pharmacist of the Year Award, only one is awarded in the entire nation.
- UMKC School of Pharmacy Pharm.D. student Sara Massey received the APhA Foundation Award, one of 13 in the nation.