Office of Student Affairs
UMKC School of Pharmacy Student Affairs Office
The UMKC School of Pharmacy Student Office of Student Affairs facilitates the academic success and personal development of undergraduate and professional students toward achieving their educational goals and serves as a resource for the academic community.
Contact Us:Office of Student Affairs
Phone: (816) 235-1613 (Answered 8am – 3pm M-F)
Fax: (816) 235-5562
Office Hours:M - Th 8:00am – 6:00pm
Friday 8:00am - 5:00pm
LocationHealth Sciences Building
2464 Charlotte St.
Kansas City, MO 64108
Who we are:
Associate Dean of Student Affairs:
Director of Student Affairs:
Manager of Diversity & Outreach Initiatives:
We work with the following programs:
Professional – Doctor of Pharmacy (Pharm.D.)
- » The Pharm.D. is the degree required to become a licensed pharmacist.
- » Click here for application information.
- » Pre-Pharmacy students
- » Bachelor of Science in Pharmaceutical Sciences (BSPS) students. Admissions into this program has been discontinued and current students must graduate by 2016.
What we do:
- » Act as a referral, resource, and campus advocate for all future and current students in an undergraduate or professional pharmacy program.
- » Provide academic advising each semester on scheduling coursework to pre-pharmacy students working toward joining the Pharm.D. program.
- » Provide advice on how to successfully achieve high marks, and work on retention of material learned needed to be competitive for admission into the Pharm.D. program.
- » Advise current Pharm.D. students on their required and elective courses they should take each semester.
- » Work with the materials gathered by PharmCAS to provide Pharm.D. admission recommendations to the Admissions Committee based on the perimeters set by the School of Pharmacy Faculty.
- » Help students attending different schools transfer courses to satisfy the Pharm.D. prerequisites.
- » Recruit at schools and functions to attract the brightest and most enthusiastic students to attend UMKC for both the pre-pharmacy and Pharm.D. program.
Specifically we can assist you with:
- » Academic Advising
- » Information on course requirements and registration
- » Information regarding internship applications for Kansas & Missouri Boards of Pharmacy
- » Assistance with Pathway - Enrollment
- » Class composites
- » Class schedules
- » Course equivalencies for other MO & KS institutions of higher education
- » Information about pharmacy internship positions
- » Lost & Found (School of Nursing)
- » Student Organizational & Class Boxes
- » School of Pharmacy Tablecloth Checkout
- » Academic & Social Calendars postings
- » School of Pharmacy Special Events
- » Assistance for Class Officers & Student Organizations
Is Advising Required?
- Yes, for all Pre-Pharmacy, Provisional & BSPS students. They must meet with a Pharmacy Academic Advisor each semester. Pre-Pharmacy/Provisional Prerequisite Planning Guide
- Pharm.D. students are not required to meet with Academic Advisors, but are encouraged to develop a relationship with the advising staff.
Who is my academic advisor?
- Academic Advisors are not assigned. When students set up advising appointments, they may choose from Jenna Hefley or Steve McDonald.
When should I get advised for scheduling classes?
- We recommend waiting until the next semester’s schedule of classes are posted in Pathway.
I am not happy with how my current semester is going; do you have advice?
- Students have many resources to help them including their Professional Development Advisor and an Academic Advisor from OSA. The Student Success Program connects the student with the people and resources they need to improve their academic success.
Students should review the following sites for additional information:
» Office of Student Affairs Black Board site (for students already enrolled)