MENU

The UMKC School of Pharmacy offers two disciplines within the UMKC Interdisciplinary Ph.D. program administered by the School of Graduate Studies – Pharmacology and Toxicology and Pharmaceutical Sciences. Additional information about admission qualifications and program requirements are available on each discipline’s web page.

Plan of Study

Core Program Requirements

Pharmacology and Toxicology as Coordinating Unit Discipline: Specific course requirements will be determined by the student in consultation with the research advisor and the supervisory committee. Generally, 65 post-baccalaureate credit hours, including 20 hours of research and dissertation and 45 hours of course work are required for the Ph.D. degree. No more than 27 credit hours (60 percent) can be obtained from a single discipline (preferably in Pharmacology and Toxicology). The remaining 18 credit hours (40 percent) can be obtained from one or more participating disciplines.

No more than 25 percent of coursework from the non-participating disciplines will be counted toward the Ph.D. degree. As many as 15 credits may be allowed for courses taken in a master’s degree program at another institution with the concurrence of the student’s supervisory committee
.
The total of 27 hours required for Pharmacology and Toxicology as the coordinating discipline will be composed of:

  • Pharmacy 519 (4 credits)
  • Pharmacy 520 (5 credits)
  • Pharmacy 615 (3 credits)
  • 3 hours of Pharmacy 580C (Pharmacology and Toxicology seminar)
  • 12 additional hours of advanced courses (500-level or above) in Pharmacology and Toxicology as approved by the supervisory committee

In the remaining 18 hours, 3 credit hours of statistics, plus 15 credit hours in one or a combination of co-disciplines, which may include cell biology and biophysics, chemistry, molecular biology and biochemistry, oral biology, pharmaceutical sciences, or other pertinent areas as approved by the supervisory committee.
Other Electives: A supervisory committee may require that additional coursework be taken to prepare the student in a specific research area. Additional requirement may not exceed 6 credit hours, may be taken in any approved doctoral discipline and must be completed prior to the semester in which the dissertation defense occurs.
Pharmacology and Toxicology as Co-discipline: Students applying for Pharmacology and Toxicology as a co-discipline should have completed coursework equivalent to:

  • Pharmacy Physiology I and II (LS-PHSL 399 and 400)
  • Human Biochemistry I and II (Bio-Sc 365G and 366G)

Both of these are offered at UMKC. Students who have not completed this coursework must finish it during the first two semesters of graduate work.
When Pharmacology and Toxicology is chosen as the co-discipline, the minimum course requirements are completion of:

  • Pharmacy 519 (4 credits)
  • Pharmacy 520 (5 credits)
  • 1 credit hour of seminar (Pharmacy 580C)
  • Sufficient courses constituting the required percentage of their program of study, as approved by the supervisory committee

No more than one C grade in any core course will be permitted. Students who receive more than one C grade or lower will be dropped from Pharmacology and Toxicology as a co-discipline. Students must take and successfully pass a written and oral comprehensive examination administered by the supervisory committee members from the Division of Pharmacology and Toxicology. Co-discipline students should take the Pharmacology and Toxicology comprehensive examination no later than one semester after completing their required co-discipline course work.
For more information, please visit the School of Graduate Studies website and review the “Current Students” program information.